Now in its 6th year, the Tkb Baja Freeride Test just gets better and better. For the 2017 Freeride Gear Test, Tkb trucked over 60 kites (30 models) and 40 boards (33 models) to La Ventana, Mexico, one of the best locations for reliable wind in North America during the winter months. Our group was one of the first to get their hands on North’s new Click Bar and Cabrinha’s Fireball Control System, got a sneak preview of Naish’s new Dash and Boxer kites and had a number of directional boards, foils kites and foil boards thrown into the traditional mix of all around LEI kites and twin tips. We’ve heard some rumors of what’s coming for 2018 and can’t wait to get down to Baja again to test all the new toys!
TKB TEST WEEK LA VENTANA JAN 6-14, 2018
Come join the Tkb crew at Palapas Ventana when we demo the new model year gear in Baja. Which kites have the best boost? What brand offers the cleanest control bar? Which one is best for unhooked tricks? What kite has the best low end grunt and wind range? What foils are best for beginners to progress on?
Palapas Ventana has hosted our group for the past six years for a good reason! Besides their amazing and accommodating staff, the family-owned resort started by Tim Hatler, founder of the La Ventana Classic, has a semi private beach, compressors, dedicated kite helper, on site restaurant above launch, and an infinity hot tub for after session soaks! This eco-resort boasts ocean views from every casita, secure gear storage, wifi, and a convenient on-site restaurant/bar/espresso cafe. You can choose from a specialty casita (complete with your own bathroom) or a regular casita (bathrooms/showers 25-30 feet from your door). Rates include 19% hotel tax but not standard 10% gratuity. Reduced rates for non-participant lodging partner (can join downwinders and island crossing, no testing; or if non-kiter — meals, optional excursions and lodging only).
$1765 single occupancy
$1315 per person based on double occupancy
$1145 per person based on triple occupancy
$1515 single occupancy
$1115 per person based on double occupancy
Here’s what you get:
- A chance to be the first to ride the new model year kites and boards
- 8 night 9 day accommodations at Palapas Ventana
- Breakfast and lunch every day, dinner 7 nights
- Kite support on the beach and a compressor to fill kites
- Transportation for downwinders
- One day trip to Isla Cerralvo including snorkel trip (weather permitting) and 10-mile crossing
- Use of Palapas Ventana kayaks and snorkel gear
- All you can SUP
- Optional day trip to the Pacific for waves $45 each per person (per consensus of group)
- Optional morning/breakfast trip to historical mining town under renovation (amazing food!)
- Optional group gourmet dinner and/or pizza castle party
- Must stay at property to be part of this test and offer. No exceptions.
- Must be intermediate (able to go upwind, perform basic tricks like jumping or front roll/back roll, be self-sufficient) level or better kiter.
- Must test daily with the TKB Test Team, weather permitting.
- Must submit test reports daily (we’ll have a booklet for each tester).
- Must like to have fun and play well with others:-)
How to Apply:
Tkb’s Baja Freeride Test Week is limited to 16 participants only. Please fill out the form by July 31, 2017. The test team will be finalized no later than August 31 this year to allow you time to plan for your Baja holiday.