On Monday, April 1st the waiting period starts for the most extreme kiteboarding event in the world: Red Bull Megaloop. Today the 16 selected riders have been announced. From April 1st to November 1st, these 16 top riders will wait for the perfect storm to hit Zandvoort, the Netherlands.
Selected riders Red Bull Megaloop 2019:
- Joshua Emanuel (RSA)-Winner Red Bull Megaloop 2017
- Steven Akkersdijk (NL)-2nd place Red Bull Megaloop 2017
- Lasse Walker (NL)-3rd place Red Bull Megaloop 2017
- Ruben Lenten (NL)
- Kevin Langeree (NL)-Winner King of the Air 2019
- Jesse Richman (USA)-2nd place King of the Air 2019
- Nick Jacobsen (DK)
- Ross-Dillon Player (RSA)
- Kevin de Smidt (NL)
- Gijs Wassenaar (NL)
- Jerrie van de Kop (NL)
- Louk Timmer (NL)
- Antoine Clerc (FRA)-Selected rider video entry
- Ryan de Witte (NL)-Selected rider video entry
- Janek Grzegorzewski (POL)-Selected rider video entry
- Ben van den Burg (NL)-Selected rider video entry
Kevin Langeree & Jesse Richman get a wildcard
In 2018, unfortunately, Mother Nature didn’t give us these conditions. Therefore the same 14 selected riders moved on to the 2019 line-up. Red Bull King of the Air 2019 winner Kevin Langeree, and runner up Jesse Richman, receive the 2 wild cards and complete the list of 16 riders.
All riders have been selected by the judges, based on a combination of the ranking of previous editions and the level of riding – in particular mastering the performance of the megaloop, one of the most extreme tricks in kiteboarding. Additionally, 4 riders have been selected last year by their video entries.
Red Bull Megaloop will be organized when the weather conditions are perfect. That means when the wind hits 30 knots or more and the authorities warn to stay indoors. That’s the time when these world’s best kiteboarders only have one goal: ride hard and fly high.
As of Monday, April 1st we all wait for the storm!