Ten years ago, a few friends looked across La Ventana Bay toward Isla Cerralvo and an idea was born. T-shirts were spray painted with numbers and a select few competed amongst themselves to see who would be the first to claim the bragging rights as the fastest to finish the 11-mile distance across the bay.
A decade later, the La Ventana Classic (LVC) has grown into one of the top five events in North America, offering participants and spectators alike a raucous good time while supporting a great cause. This unique windsports, standup paddle boarding and new for 2018, mountain bike racing event, is a vital fundraiser for the schools of La Ventana/El Sargento villages and thus far has raised over $100,000 since its inception, assisting with much needed educational program funds and community works projects. In 2017, the event raised $25,600 which allowed Amigos de Alumnas, the event’s main beneficiary, to sponsor 24 teenagers high school scholarships ($300USD per child in Mexico), build a new community park and playground for the kids and purchase a vehicle for the town’s new police checkpoint.
The 2018 La Ventana Classic and KiteXpo kicks off January 17, 2018 at Hot Springs Beach and ends on Sunday, January 21. This year’s goal is to raise $30,000 to support even more local high school scholarships and community projects. The 5-day action-packed event includes daily competitions in kiteboard racing and freestyle, daily kiteboarding gear demos, daily SUP races, and mountain bike racing followed by nightly dinners and parties.
Windsports – The La Ventana Classic includes kiteboard/windsurf course racing, long distance island crossing and freestyle competitions along with daily kiteboard gear demos for experienced riders.
SUP – Standup paddleboarders compete in a variety of spectacular “downwind” races during the La Ventana Classic. Each day brings an adventurous paddle and excellent chance to race with the wind at competitors’ backs.
Mountain Bike – New for 2018, riders can choose from the Go Slow Race (fun for all!) the 10k or the Enduro race.
- January 16 – STRAPLESS CLINIC – Pick up some new moves with pro instruction from local strapless legend Reece Myerscough!
- January 16 – WOMEN’S ISLAND RIDE– Enjoy a day kiting at Cerralvo Island and crossing back with Elevation Slingshot Marie Leclerc and Laura Maher!
- January 17 – FOIL RACING CLINIC– Learn tips and tricks from pro racer Joey Pasquale!
Other fun during the LVC:
- January 17 – PARTY ISLAND DOWNWINDER POKER RUN– a 5 mile downwinder on giant inflatable rafts. Get 5 people and 1 kite and pick up 5 poker cards on your ride downwind to Baja Joes. Once you’re there, play your poker hand. Costumes and Team Names score bonus points. Stay for the After Party with reggae band Stamina!
- January 17-21 – KiteXpo– at Hot Springs Beach. Demo 2018 gear from companies on the beach including Airush, Core, Cabrinha, Liquid Force, Naish, RRD, Blade Kiteboarding, Slingshot, Ride Engine, Mystic Kiteboarding and WMFG.
- January 18- SURF MUSIC BEACH PARTY– at ChiloChil. Music from the Mexican Weirdos, Barracudas and more. Bar and food at the beach.
- January 19 – FRITZ & DJ GUAC DANCE PARTY – at Marlin Azul. Taco Bar and fun guaranteed.
- January 20 – KILOMETRO CONCERT– Where Pink Floyd tribute meets Classic Rock and Funk all rolled into a GOOOD Time!!
- January 21 – Awards Banquet and Party with Flipska Band
Check www.laventanaclassic.com and www.thekiteboarder.com for daily updates. Mandatory Skipper’s Meetings for all competitors is Tuesday, January 16, at Palapas Ventana restaurant. See LVC website for details and time.