Get ready to have the time of your life while doing a lot of good at the 7th Annual La Ventana Classic!
What began as a local competition to help out the local schools in the small Baja community of La Ventana and El Sargento has grown into one of the largest kiteboarding events attracting kiteboarders from all over North America and beyond.
All profits from this event go directly to projects to improve schools and community projects. In 2011, the event attracted 16 top kite companies, 137 competitors, and raised $18,500 USD. That money has been put into action and the following projects will be finished before the 2012 event begins:
- El Sargento Primary: Shelves for library, electrical system revamp in prep for installing air conditioning.
- El Sargento Kindergarten: Giant whiteboard, recreation area patio
- Community Health Center: New fence and gate
- La Ventana Kindergarten: Playground equipment
- La Ventana Primary: Paint the perimeter fence and plant 38 trees
- Jr High El Sargento: Sporting equipment for girls, team uniforms, and AC repair
- Jr High Los Planes: New copy machine / printer
- El Sargento community: Reset tires on perimeter of baseball field
- El Sargento community: Diesel credits for the garbage truck
- Police Station: Walls for new station at entrance of town
- El Sargento Marineros Baseball Team: New uniforms
- Baja Paws: Payment for spay / neuter of 10 local dogs
We hope to do even more in 2012 with your help!
COMMUNITY PROJECT JANUARY 13
Citywide trash cleanup on streets and beaches – Kiters, school kids, locals, gringos – everybody come and pitch in! Starts at 9 am in front of the Police Station. Last year we collected 5 tons less than the previous year so our efforts are working!
PRO KITE AND SUP CLINICS JANUARY 15-18
All clinics dependent on weather. Date, location, time will be posted at www.laventanaclassic.com and www.thekiteboarder.com the evening of January 14, based on the latest forecast. See http://laventanaclassic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=3 for SUP Surf and Race Clinics plus contact emails for clinic instructors.
Two Day Kite Course Racing Clinic with Adam Koch an Team Fluid: Learn to race or improve your game – this clinic is taught by one of the top three kite racers in the world – any questions? Cost is $203. Minimum 4 people, maximum 12 people.
Surf/Strapless Clinic at Coast with Mark2Dog/Baja Joes/North and John Bonetti/RRD/Live2Kite: Head to the coast and experience a different part of Baja just 2 hours away from La Ventana. Get tips to help you in the surf and your strapless board skills, plus try out demo gear from RRD and North. If forecast is not good for any day between January 15-18, the clinic will be held somewhere in La Ventana with ‘extras’ to make good for not going to coast. Cost is $103. Minimum 4 people, maximum 12 people. Price includes transportation, snack bar food, and drinks.
Elevation Kiteboarding Presents: All Day Girls Clinic at Isla Cerralvo with Laura Maher/Slingshot and Marie Leclerc/Baja Joes/North: Girls of all levels are welcome but if you can’t go upwind, you have to return in one of the boats! Spend a day at Isla Cerralvo, the starting point of the 11.5 mile crossing. At the end you’ll do a dry run of the crossing and finish the day with Happy Hour at Baja Joe’s. Get tips from the pros and try out the new 2012 gear from Slingshot and North. Cost is $103. Minimum 4 people. Price includes transportation, snack bar food, and drinks.
Freestyle Kite Clinic with 2012 Bridge of the Gods Champion John Perry and freestyle veteran Dave Tyburski from Airush: Spend a day with Airush team rider John Perry and former competitor turned R&D Guru for Airush Dave Tyburski. Learn the secrets of going big and doing unhooked tricks – teaching seminar and practice session with coaching. Cost is $103
KITE AND SUP DEMO JANUARY 19-22
Must be intermediate or better rider able to go upwind, self rescue, and comfortable navigating amongst other kiters. All participants must sign wavier form AND provide credit card information for damages incurred due to negligent use. This does not include if you crash the kite it splits but also realize this is not the time to practice your kite loops for the first time! All participants receive wristband and will not allowed to demo without one.
- KITE DEMO HOURS: 12 noon to 5 pm
- SUP DEMO HOURS: 9 am to 12 pm or whenever the wind starts blowing
THE RACES JANUARY 19-22
Schedule is subject to change according to weather. Crossing will happen on best wind day. Mandatory Skippers Meeting Palapas Ventana Restaurant Wed, January 18 at 7 pm. Be sure to check official websites for updates!!!!
11.5 mile downwind sprint from Cerralvo Island to La Ventana -Pangas transport competitors to offshore Cerralvo Island and they race back to the La Ventana shore.
Course racing finals – Short course racing with top competitors!
Big Air / Old School Trick contests – Go big or go home –right over the crowd.
SUP Paddle Royale – get a ride to the island and race back for great prizes and cash. Also a 5 mile downwinder and short Stand Up Paddle races and team relays!
- Wedensay – Palapas Ventana – Skippers meeting and Welcome Party
- Thursday – Baja Joes – Casino Night
- Friday – Expo Beach – Dinner and Reggae Beach Party
- Saturday – Expo Beach – Dinner and LUCHA LIBRE wrestling sponsored by SLINGSHOT
- Sunday – PIZZA VELA – Best Pizza in La Ventana, Slideshow, Awards, and Blues Explosion Dance Party