The Kiteboarder will be celebrating its ten-year anniversary in 2014 and is seeking an editor to oversee the publication’s ongoing creative development, direction, and growth. The editor will be responsible for ensuring timely delivery of all aspects of content production for the print publication and associated projects.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
- Supervise editorial production from story generation through final publication.
- Supervise and approve all creative elements of the magazine including the editorial plan, feature assignments, photo selection, budget, and final approval of all content layouts.
- Serve as the primary voice and face of the magazine.
- Ensure editorial consistency and maintain a consistently high level of quality.
- Maintain awareness of current developments and trends in the kiteboarding industry.
- Lead product testing efforts including writing reviews.
- Produce video interviews at Surf Expo, the annual industry trade show.
- Lead the expansion of The Kiteboarder brand into new products, activities, and markets.
- Work with the publisher and online media manager to create a dominating media presence within the kiteboarding industry.
- Maintain relationships and foster open communication with The Kiteboarder’s partner brands.
Desired Education and Experience
- College degree in journalism, communications, or a related field.
- Experience writing and editing content for magazines, newspapers, or trade publications.
- Minimum one year experience implementing and managing projects from start to finish.
- Experience editing photos for print is highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extreme attention to detail and excellent organization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire both in house and outside talent.
- Detail-oriented self-starter with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and consistently meet deadlines.
- Action sports photography and videography experience desired.
- Photo and video editing skills desired.
- Be an experienced (four years or more) and passionate kiteboarder with an in-depth knowledge of current industry trends.
- Willingness to travel to international kiteboarding destinations on assignment.
Please send your resume to email@example.com no later than Monday, Oct 25, 2013, 5p PST along with a cover letter outlining your vision for the publication, why your particular skill set is suited for the position and what you believe you can bring to the position and company. Ideally the position starts Dec 2, 2013 so that the new candidate has time to train with the current editor. Official start date will be January 1, 2014. This is an independent contractor position where the candidate will work remotely from home with own equipment to meets the needs of the job. Candidate must live in mainland USA.
About The Kiteboarder
Founded in 2004, The Kiteboarder (TKB) is printed in large format with a unique matte cover and high-quality paper. The publication targets and appeals to kiteboarders who appreciate long-form feature stories consisting of thoughtful in-depth editorial and imagery that encapsulates the spirit and lifestyle of kiteboarding. Stories are presented in clean, elegant, and readable layouts rather than a cluttered magazine full of ads and trendy design elements.
TKB also publishes supplemental digital magazines focusing on gear, instruction, and seasonal travel. Combined with special events and other electronic efforts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and more, The Kiteboarder offer multiple outlets for riders to get their kiteboarding news and entertainment.