Thanks to everyone for putting on the best La Ventana Classic Ever!! T ogether we removed 10.5 tons of trash from our town and raised $18,487 USD for our community and schools – and the number keeps going up as we continue to receive donations!!
Get ready for next year! We are going to pull out all the stops for our 7th annual “Locally World Famous” event!
Thank you to all our sponsors, volunteers, racers, and supporters
Special Thanks to these fundraising heroes:
Marie Leclerc of Elevation Kiteboarding – Held a women’s clinic at the island which raised $2000 USD for women’s sports at our schools
Andrew and Adam Koch of Team Fluid – Held a Racing Clinic which raised $600 USD
Mark Bavis and Brendan Richards – Held a strapless clinic which raised $500 USD
Baja Joe’s – Donated coffee proceeds and sky dive show
Kiwi Fields and Jason Maartense – SUP winners who donated their prize boards back to raise $1350 USD
Sean Farley – Mexican Kiteboarder who did a motivation talk at the Telesucundaria and awarded tandem kite rides to students and took them out in breaks between events!
Sarah, Shane, and Pablos – Raised $580 USD at the TOGA rager!!
Larry Wilhelms and Captain Kirks – Yoga Class donations helped the cause!
Jewelry Diane -Donated % of jewelry sales!
Santiago of La Ventana Home Services -Ran a tight finish line – his 5th year doing it!
RACES -Schedule and results
Thursday – SUP Paddle Royale – 27 paddlers and 2 kayaks paddles across the 11-mile channel from Cerralvo Island to La Ventana! The celebrity skydivers Neil Hutchinson and Baja Joe successfully landed at EXPO Beach and 2 winners took the prize for guessing the distance they landed from the hula hoop.
Thursday Night had a raging success with an off the hook TOGA Party run by Sarah and Shannon at Pablos – They raised $580 USD for our local schools!!
Winners – SUP Paddle Royale – click for complete results
Great calm conditions with 25 SUPers and 2 Surfskis
- KIWI Fields 2:02
- Jason Maartense 2:06
- Alfredo Salafranca 2:10
Kiwi won this race for the 3rd year in a row! He was awarded an 11 foot SURFCRAFT SUP which he donated back to raffle off to support our schools!!
- Betsy Rudigoz 2:12
- Sky Robbins 2:18
- Greta Kruesi 2:44
Betsy is a paddling machine at 57 years old – she was smoking everyone and finished 4th overall – she won a 12 foot Panga SUP donated by SUP Mexico.
The Surfskis paddled over and back to help raise $ for the cause and were piloted by Warren Bruce and Shawn Sullivan.
Friday – The Crossing – 127 Kiters and windsurfers duked it out on the 11.5 mile race from Cerralvo, around the buoy at Palapas Ventana and finishing at Expo Beach.
Everyone returned safely. The Windsurfers took the Trophy back as they were the first 3 to finish! Kiters are already training for next year to try to win back the bragging rights!
Winners – The Crossing — click here for entire results and times
Fastest man across the Channel
Brian Metcalf – Perez –WINDSURFER–22:23 fastest time ever for LV Classic
Fastest woman across the Channel
Kirsten Ulmer – KITE–28:17
- Johnny Heineken- San Fran-22:45
- Damian Leroy – Florida – 22:50
- Sean Farley – Colima, Mex – 23:10
- Alex Aguera-Hawaii – 23:52
- Kent Marinkovic – FL – 24:10
- Shawn Richman- Maui – 24:30
- Jim Bison-Hood River/LV – 25:24
- Rob Douglas-Marthas Vineyard – 25:29
- Mac Skaggs-Los Barriles – 25:34
- Josh Nehf- Santa Cruz, CA – 25:37
- Kirsten Ulmer – Hood River – 28:17
- Shannon Gormley -Stevenson, WA / LV – 28:56
- Marie Leclerc – Nit Nat, Canada / LV – 29:04
- Cynbad Brown – Colorado / LV – 29:12
- Kris Kinn – Buffalo, NY-29:39
- Britney Todd – Hood River / LV – 29:46
- Colleen Carroll – Bellingham, WA – 31:30
- Rachel Callahan- Stevenson, WA-32:21
- Brian Metcalf Perez – New Mexico / LV – 22:23
- Tyson Poor – Norcal / LV – 22:30
- Macrae Wylde – Hood River / Los Barriles – 22:40
- Mark Dix – Seattle, WA / LV – 24:03
- Tom Van D All – 24:15
- Lyn Preuit – Redwood City, CA / LV – 24:37
- Fiona Wylde -Hood River/Los Barriles -30:35
- Ellen Wylde –Hood River/Los Barriles -37:50
- Craig Lumpp – Las Vegas – 32:45
- Michael Glass-Eureka, CA-33:31
- Gary Martin – 37:10 from The Kiteboarder Magazine Oceanside, CA / LV
After The Crossing we held the first round of the Big Air/Old School competition.
Saturday – 1 mile SUP race and 2 mile fun relay
Winners – 1 mile SUP race
- Jason Maartense – BC/LV
- Ozzie Lensch – SJD/LV at heart
- Alfredo Salafranca – SJD
- Esteban Winiarski – SF/LV
- Macrae Wylde Hood River/ Los Barriles
- Tom Vance
- Gary Martin
- Betsy Rudigoz – Los Barriles
- Erin Kooger – Victoria, Can
- Fiona Wylde – Hood River / Los Barriles
Followed by the finals of Big Air/Old School
Winners — Big Air/Old School Freestyle
- Shawn Richman – Maui
- Damian Leroy – FL
- Sean Farley – Colima, MX
- Michelle Gabriel -Livermore, CA
- Britney Todd – Hood River / LV
- Laura Maher – Hood River / LV
We then ran 5 quality course races with a fleet of 30 total kiters and windsurfers including the 5 best kite course racers in the world!
Saturday Nite – Caution Fight Night had a capacity crowd! AAA Lucha Libre Winners – Spitfire y El Zombie defeated Animania and Rosabel – exact details are fuzzy.
Sunday – We held SUP Fun Relay races, 5 more Course Races, and the 5 mile SUP Downwinder from the hot springs to Expo Beach
Winners Course Racing – click for complete results
- Damien Leroy
- Adam Koch-WA/various arroyos
- Andrew Koch – San Fran
- Alex Aguera
- Kent Marinkovic
- Colin Ernst – Vancouver, Can
- Britney Todd
- Cynbad Brown
- Kris Kinn
- Kirsten Ulmer
- Colleen Carroll -Bellingham, WA
- Macrae Wylde
- Lyn Preuit
- Mark Dix
- Richard White – LV
- Fiona Wylde
- Ellen Wylde
Winners 5 mile SUP Downwinder
- Jason Maartense
- Mark Dix
- Hugo Kenyon
- Sky Robbins
- Betsy Rudigoz
- Colleen Carol